Sunday, November 21, 2010

A recent project!

So a couple months ago I had the random desire to redo a chair that I could use when I shoot family portraits. I didn't want to spend a lot of money but I wanted the end result to not be just a boring white chair. I asked my cute friend Emily Flannery for some words of advice & she helped me a lot!

I started by finding a plain old kitchen chair from DI for $5

The hard part was sanding all the shine (top coat) off of the whole chair. With all the little nooks and creases it made it very tedious.
I had pre-determined that I wanted the chair to be gray & white to easily match anything I may want to use it for. So after I finished sanding I painted the entire chair with gray primer spray paint.
After it dried, the next step was to coat the entire chair with crackle glaze.
After the glaze had dried it was time to paint the white top coat.
It was pretty cool to watch the paint crackle as I was going over with the white paint. The nice thing was that I didn't have to be too careful about making everything look perfect because the end result I wanted was for a weathered old look.
After it dried, I sanded some of the edges of chair just for effect & then put a clear sealant top coat so that the paint wouldn't chip off with use.
And the end result...
I really loved learning how to redo this chair. It wasn't difficult but it took time. The end result made all the time well worth it!


On a side note... Did you guys see this sunset the other night?? GORGEOUS

6 comments:

Brooke said...

What a handsome model you have!! Love the chair too!

EmandZak said...

SO cute!!! I love how it turned out. Well done sista!

Meghann said...

I've really been considering doing this to our table. The table white with the chairs being different colors...but can you imagine that sanding...no fun. Thanks for sharing details :)

Megs said...

Since bar stools are so expensive, I'm thinking I'll need to make a trip to a thrift store and then do a project like this - I will be asking you for advice & help! You did awesome!

Emily said...

The chair looks awesome! I would love to do something like this to my end tables!

Anonymous said...

Glad i wrote you then! :) i thought i sent you an invite when i made it private... text me your email address so next time i make it private i can add you!! That would be sad if you couldn't write me haha hope all is well!!!

Authors