Monday, August 13, 2012

Our 4 year Anniversary

This year for our 4 year anniversary we decided to take a short trip down to St.George to get away & also so Whitley could meet her Great Grandparents on my side. We figured our anniversary would be drastically different this year, and we were right. We didn't really focus on ourselves but on our little family by just spending time together. Tyler & I were able to get away for an amazing lunch at Benja's which is now our favorite Thai restaurant we have visited.

I am so grateful for my incredible husband. I feel so blessed to have him in my life & for eternity. He is such an amazing father & I have seen this even in this short time we have been parents! Seeing the love he has for our daughter just makes me fall deeper in love with him. I hope he knows how incredible he is! I love you Ty!

{Whitley in the arms of my Grandpa - Don Harris - whom my middle name is after (Dawn). When I posted this photo on instagram I put "a 4 week old in the arms of a 4,516 week old"}

{Whitley with my Grandma - Janeen Harris - whom Whitley's middle name is after (Jane)}

I always knew I wanted to name my first girl after her. She is an amazing example to me of a genuine woman. She is so kind hearted & loving. I don't ever recall a time when she has raised her voice around me. She is amazingly patient - a quality I could use that's for sure. It has become even more evident this past couple years as she has faced difficulties & trials. Not only did she go through surgery to remove cancer from her kidney, but she has experienced multiple bouts of pneumonia - the last of which sent her remaining kidney into incredibly low function. It's functioning so low that she is now living by getting kidney dialysis done 3 times per week for 3 hours each visit - getting poked & drained of energy/extreme exhaustion just to stay alive. Not only dealing with all of this - she now has the responsibility of looking after & taking care of her sweet husband - my grandfather - who has been diagnosed with stage 5 Alzheimer's. He cannot drive anymore & short term things are the hardest for him to remember. It seems to be progressing quickly as well. But never once have I seen her get angry with him or voice her frustrations. She has so much on her plate & so much that she COULD complain about or be unhappy about yet she is always happy & always saying nice things. I look up to her so much. Every since I was a baby I have had a special bond to her. Maybe it was because I would see her everyday but I always remember her being there & loving me & always being happy to see me. Ever since we moved away from St.George I've missed her. I get so excited when we get to drive down & visit. I am so glad that Whitley was able to finally meet her & I pray that Whitley will gain an understanding as to why I have chosen such an extraordinary woman to name her after!

3 comments:

Shane and Kenzie said...

What neat grandparents. I also love to read about how much you love, care, and look up to them!

Aaron Gelter said...

I'm glad you had a good anniversary and got to see grandma and grandpa! I loved the tribute you gave to them, they really are wonderful people!

Meghann said...

You two are such a wonderful couple! You add Whitley in there and it's just so perfect! I loved reading what you wrote about Grandma! From the moment Aaron introduced me to Grandma I knew she loved me and I was from that point on part of her family. So is an amazing woman!

Authors