Saturday, February 26, 2011

Antique Glazing

Over the last week I took on a project which is a preliminary project to the one I am planning on taking on. I wanted to make sure I liked it enough to do it on ALL my kitchen cabinets. So before ruining my kitchen, I decided to give it a trial run on my laundry room cabinets. Pictured below you can kind of see the cabinets before. They were just a boring golden oak (this is how all the cabinets in the house are). Special thanks to my friend Nicole for giving me the idea & giving me pointers on how to get it done. And another thanks goes out to the random guy who's youtube video helped me tremendously :)

First I took all the doors off & handles. Then I primed everything twice with KILZ. (I found it easiest to use the spray paint on the doors since I could take them outside). Then I got a high gloss latex paint and had it colored ANTIQUE WHITE. I only had to go over everything once because the primer did so well. I let everything dry overnight just to be safe.
Then I got an awesome oil based glaze from Benjamin Moore in Kaysville (they are awesome there & helped me out) and the guy tinted it to be VERY dark brown.
I learned that using an oil based glaze is best because it doesn't dry as quickly as latex so you have more time to work and make things perfect. You also have up to an hour to remove with water.
{Pictured below is the doors after paint, before glaze}
I just used cheap foam brushes for all my painting. I painted with the glaze all over where the cracks on the doors are & then using a very damp cloth I wiped off all the excess. It's not important to be careful when applying the glaze because it wipes off super easy. You just want to make sure you get it into those cracks super good so that even when you wipe along the cracks the glaze stays in there where you want it to be.
If the cabinets are somewhere used frequently you should go over them with a clear coat so that the glaze doesn't wear off over time. I chose not to do that with these ones since they are in my laundry room but with my kitchen I will be sure to!

{Picture below is the cabinets all finished!}
What do you think?!

6 comments:

Joanna Taylor said...

They turned out beautifully! Thanks for posting this. I'd love the link to the YouTube video if you still have it. :)

Megs said...

They look great, it seems like a fun project!

And we totally would have gone to the red robin dinner! Lol. Didn't know it was an option :)

Shanna said...

i'm a fan! i'm def showing this to mi madre! she's been wanting to redo her kitchen cabinets. good idea rach! you're so motivated! wanna come fix up my house?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! It looks antique! Love it!

Jessica Sorensen said...

Looks great! I like them better then the oak color.

Morgs said...

Those look great Rach, good job!

Authors