Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Quite the Scare!

Saturday seemed like an ordinary day, I hosted a Mary Kay party at my house for my cute friend Cassie Peterson, I had a maternity shoot planned that evening.. and then I got a phone call from my Mom..
That morning my Dad was driving with Micah, my lil bro to their baseball practice & while turning left from a stop sign my Dad passed out and slouched over onto Micah. The car continued to go over the curb and onto someones lawn. Micah had to get my dads foot off the pedals & turned the wheel so the car could go back onto the street, he then forced the car into park. 30 seconds later my Dad woke up wondering what was going on.. being the stubborn person he is he didn't listen to Micah as he was told to not drive any further. They arrived at practice, but my Dad still didn't feel right. My Mom forced him to go with her to the instacare. When arriving there, they discovered their insurance wouldn't cover it, but the doc/nurse was kind enough to check his vitals, etc. and sent them on their way. It wasn't too long until my Dad was saying he didn't feel good/right & he then passed out again onto my Mom's shoulder. My Mom then took him to the ER. They hooked him up to all kinds of heart monitors & different machines trying to see anything out of the ordinary. My Dad then passed out a 3rd time for about 15 seconds. The doctor printed out a report from the heart monitor & then told them that my Dad's heart had actually stopped for 15 seconds...
He was admitted into the hospital for a series of more tests including a brain scan to insure no tumors, blood clots, etc. And an ecocardiogram (sp?) to see if his heart had any blockages of any kind. The tests came out normal and showed a healthy heart. This is when the doctor made the decision to put a pacemaker into his heart. This way if his heart stopped again, the pacemaker would act as a generator or backup & continue to beat his heart. He had the surgery on Sunday & is now home recovering..
We are so grateful that he is doing good and that it wasn't something different that couldn't be fixed. We don't know what we would ever do without him here with us, he is such an amazing man & such an example to us all. How thankful we are to our Heavenly Father for him and for his life. WE LOVE YOU DAD!

8 comments:

Megs said...

What a great picture!

I'm so glad all of us G fam bloggers decided to write about this, so we could remember it, for one thing, and also so we could all express our love for your dad. He is so great and he really does deserve our love and admiration. Great post!

Taylor King said...

Rach, I'm so glad your dad is alright! That is so scary! Thank heavens for modern medicine huh!? :)

Meghann said...

I can't imagine how pathetic we'd all be without Dad! I'm so grateful for Heavenly Father watching over him.
p.s. thanks for your sweet comment. I love you, too!

Shane and Kenzie said...

Wow...you guys sure do have your fair share of scares! We will keep you and your family in our prayers!

Chris and Brooklyn said...

Thank you so much for posting this. Someone Very close to me is getting a pace maker put in on Friday, I have been worried sick, So so glad everything is well!

Ann said...

I have always thought so highly of your Dad and am thankful that he was being watched over.

Morgs said...

That is so scary Rach. I am so glad that your Dad is ok. I hope that he has no other issues.

Laura said...

I am so glad that your daddy is okay, and they were able to at least do something for him! I love you and your fam! It would make me so sad to loose any of you!

Authors