Tuesday, June 28, 2011

This morning as I opened up this little book:


I read just what I needed to.

June 28, 2011

"To be angry is to yield to the influence of Satan. No one can make us angry. It is our choice. If we desire to have a proper spirit with us at all times, we must choose to refrain from becoming angry"
-Thomas S. Monson

"It may not be easy at times, but we can choose to control our emotions and not become angry at people, events, & circumstances. Sometimes people believe their agency or accountability can be suspended when experiencing the heat of an emotion. However, we are still agents, even when we experience life as though we are victims of our emotions. The apostle Paul exhorted, "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you" (Ephesians 4:31-32). To be Christlike requires self-regulation. Being agents and being accountable signifies that self-regulation is always available to us, as are repentance and forgiveness. With the Lord's divine assistance and loving grace, we can change, overcome bad habits, put off the natural man, and refrain from becoming angry."
-Lloyd D. Newell

For the past several months, I have been feeling a sense of resentment, stronger at times than others. I felt angry towards certain women/friends for reasons that should be bringing happiness & celebration.
I blamed God for my unhappiness.
How could I want something so bad & be ignored?

Now I know, it was my choice to have these feelings.
I have the agency to choose what kind of spirit I will have.
And I choose God.

Heavenly Father has a plan for each one of us.
It may not be exactly what we had envisioned, or it may not happen on our schedule.
But through faith, we can have peace in knowing that he loves us, that he wants us to be happy.

I'm learning & growing.
Through this experience.. one of the hardest in my life.

9 comments:

Ninjas said...

I loved this post and I feel bad saying that. I am sorry that you are going through a hard time but I know everything will work out. I love you.

Kaley and Jeremy said...

People saying "it'll all work out" doesn't really help, right? But still, somehow, I know everything will. Just remember you always have your friends to talk to!

Bain Becomes a Master said...

Thank you for sharing this. It is what I needed as well. I hope it gets better!

Shanna said...

I'm sorry rach. I love you friend. I'm glad you found what you were looking for in this book. Often times these blogs can become a brag fest, it makes everyone seem like their lives are pictures perfect! i am grateful for the times when people are real and honest. It reminds me what i need to work on too.

whatever it is you're going through just know i'm here for ya. :)

Laura said...

Thank you so much for this post. It is just what I needed to hear, I have been having some struggles lately with anger in my life, and I need to get control over those feelings. You are an amazing friend, thanks so much for being there for me when I need you. I have here for you anytime!

Beki Jo said...

Wow Rach! You took the words right out of my mouth. Seriously! I have been feeling the exact same way and you won't even know how perfect timing it was for me to read that. Thanks! And it was awesome running into you guys this weekend!

Megan said...

It appears everyone said everything I wanted to say...and I talked to you last night...but...I love you sis! *hugs*

Meghann said...

I love you Rach!

Shane and Kenzie said...

Thank you for always being so inspirational. I too have been struggling for quite awhile and it becomes easy to pout and be impatient... to look at everyone elses's lives and wonder, "why can't I have THAT?" My mom taught me growing up that the grass is never greener on the other side, and I still think that it's the best advice she could have given me. Although my life might seem unfair at times, there is always someone who is struggling with far worse.
I love you girl, try to keep your chin up.

Authors